200th anniversary for Rufus Putnam Museum
The Sutton Historical Society will hold a celebration of the 200th anniversary of the Rufus Putnam Building on Saturday, Sept. 30 from 12-3 p.m. at the Rufus Putnam Museum, 4 Uxbridge Road.
Historical Society members and the public are invited.
This event will replace the annual Wagon and Cart Show which will return in 2024.
The Rufus Putnam Building began its life as a building with a joint purpose, built by the Olive Branch Lodge of Master Masons and Sutton Centre School District in 1823 at a cost of $714.92. The first lodge meeting was held on Jan. 1, 1824.
By 1851, the lodge was sold to Sutton School District for at least partial use as a school until 1910.
In 1872, the first floor housed grades 1-8 while the second floor was dedicated to high school classes. In 1876, the first high school graduating class had five students.
A group of 21 women eligible for membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution (by virtue of being a descendant of a Revolutionary War soldier) founded the organization’s General Rufus Putnam Chapter in 1909. At a town meeting in March 1910, the old school building in Sutton Centre was leased to the Chapter for the period of 10 years at the sum of $1 per year.
By 1934, town population growth necessitated the use of the building as a school and the D.A.R. vacated the premises. However, in 1954 the D.A.R. returned and installed a commemorative display to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the town’s founding.
The Sutton Library was housed in the building from 1957 -1982 with the Sutton Historical Society moving in since 1986. The town remains the owner.
The celebration will include a reading of a state senate proclamation at 1 p.m. and an unveiling of a plaque donated by the Masons. Historical Society members will talk about and answer questions about the Rufus Putnam Museum building.