Photographer and Painter Jim Wilton is exhibiting samples of his work at Booklovers’ Gourmet, 72 E. Main St., throughout the month of January.
NOTE: Community bulletin board-type items are welcome for inclusion in the Happenings! section of the Xpress newspapers. Please allow enough lead time for publication. Email your calendar or event notice to [email protected].
JANUARY 13-FEBRARY 24
• ValleyCAST, the arts and culture arm of Open Sky Community Services, is partnering with the New England Sculptors Association for the second annual Inside and Out Exhibition. Seventeen sculptors from around New England have created over thirty works that will be on display in the Spaulding R. Aldrich Heritage Gallery, 50 Douglas Road, Whitinsville, and outside on the grounds of the Whitin Mill complex at the same address. The inside exhibit will open with a wine and cheese reception on Friday, January 13th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The public is also encouraged to attend the closing reception, which will include announcement of three People’s Choice Awards, on Friday, February 24th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Voting ends at the end of the day on Friday, February 17th and the exhibit will end right after the closing ceremony on February 24th. For more information visit opensky.org. To schedule a visit to the gallery, call 508-234-6232 or email [email protected].
THROUGH JANUARY 31ST
• “Lights and Icons: A Study in Acrylics,” paintings by Jim Wilton, will be on display and for sale at Booklovers’ Gourmet, 72 E. Main St., Webster, during regular business hours, Tues.-Sat., 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the café gallery. A public reception with the artist will take place on Saturday, January 7th from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Artist’s Statement: “I have been photographing and painting for years, in fact all my life. I’m mostly self-taught. I have photographed lighthouses as well as other subjects for inspiration for my art. I spent many years painting portraits but have switched it up to trying lighthouses after a hiatus to raise children but also found myself return to portraits. I began photography of outdoor scenes and wildlife in 2008 after finding digital photography, making it more accessible. A few years ago I began painting again after a friend painted from one of my photos, thus inspiring me to try again. I haven’t stopped but also got into crafts such as seashell jewelry boxes, Christmas trees and lighthouses. I hope folks enjoy my work as much as I enjoyed painting it.”
SUNDAY, JANUARY 8
• The New England Country Music Club presents the Al Carter Band at the Progressive Club, 18 Whitin St., Uxbridge. Doors open at 12:15 p.m. with dancing and live entertainment from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 20
• Comedy Night at Samuel Slater’s Restaurant, 200 Gore Road, will feature Frank Santorelli from “The Sopranos” with special guests Chris Zito and Mitch Stinson. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the show starts at 7:30 p.m. This is a 21+ event.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 22
• The New England Country Music Club presents the Rhode Island Rednecks at the Progressive Club, 18 Whitin St., Uxbridge. Doors open at 12:15 with dancing and live entertainment from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. www.facebook.com/NECountryMusicClub.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25
• A Blackstone Valley Partnership Open House will be held at the shared offices of the Blackstone Valley Education Foundation, the Hub, and the Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce, 670 Linwood Ave., Whitinsville, at 5:00 p.m. RSVP by January 16 to [email protected].