Coconut custard pie for Dad
By Christine Galeone
Coconut custard pie is one of my dad’s favorite desserts, so it’s something that I’ve made and brought to him several times since I learned how relatively easy it is to make it. It’s also a great comfort food.
In addition to being fairly inexpensive to make, since most of the ingredients are refrigerator and baking staples, it can be somewhat healthy.
Although the saturated fat in coconut oil is something that people with high cholesterol should probably avoid, a moderate amount of unsweetened coconut flakes could be healthy for people who don’t have problems with their cholesterol. Coconut contains protein, fiber, Iron, Magnesium, Copper and Manganese. And many people believe that it has the ability to kill bacteria, reduce inflammation and protect against diseases.
In small amounts (too much can be toxic), nutmeg is also a healthy ingredient. The spice has antibacterial properties, and it’s rich in fiber. It’s also a source of Iron, Zinc, Copper and Vitamins A, C and E.
The recipe below is also healthier because it requires less sugar than similar recipes. And making the pie crust from scratch is healthier than buying processed refrigerated unbaked pie crusts.
Coconut Custard Pie
Pie Crust Ingredients:
2 Cups of Flour
½ Cup of Butter
½ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Salt (omit if using salted butter)
½ tsp. white vinegar
7 tbsp. cold water
• Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
• Cut in butter until like peas.
• Sprinkle vinegar over the mixture.
• Sprinkle 1 tbsp. of water over part of mixture, toss with a fork, and move moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat with the rest of the mixture, until it’s all moistened.
• Gather dough into ball, and flatten by pressing the side of your hand into the ball (on a floured surface) three times horizontally and three times vertically.
• Roll dough into 1/8 inch thick pie crust.
• Place into pie plate, turn edges under, and flute the edge of the crust.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
4 Large Eggs (slightly beaten)
2 Cups of Milk (scalded)
1/3 Cup of Sugar
1 tsp. Almond Extract (or Vanilla Extract)
¼ tsp salt
2/3 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
Sprinkle of Nutmeg
• Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
• In a large bowl, combine the sugar, almond extract and salt.
• Add the eggs to the mixture.
• Gradually stir in the scalded milk.
• Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell, and distribute coconut flakes evenly over the filling.
• Sprinkle the pie with nutmeg, and bake the pie for about 40 minutes.
This hearty dessert is especially perfect for the colder months. So, it’s a great time to try this recipe. Happy (healthier) baking!